I’ve been reading Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy and in chapter 7 – Focus on Key Result Areas, he spoke about being aware of your job duties and the items that you are personally responsible for.
What’s are key result areas? Key result areas are tasks that must be completed by you. If you don’t do them, they will not get done! As a Beach Body coach I am not just an employee, I am also a business owner, a manager, an adviser and coach, and a sales person. That is a lot f key areas to be responsible for! Don’t get me wrong- I love and enjoy my role as a Beach Body coach, but there is no room for me to slack off if I want to maintain a successful business and have the ability to quit my current day job and work from home full time.
Why is it important to understand the key tasks of your job? Well, with any job Beach Body or otherwise you need to be able to answer one very important question, “Why am I on the payroll?” What are the tasks that you were hired to do? When you understand what your job encompasses and what tasks you are responsible for it will make your task organization much easier (see Organization- Manilla Folder/ ABCDE Method). It will also allow you to evaluate your performance and point out your personal weak spots. When you know where you need improvement, it will allow you to focus on those spots and improve your overall work performance.
So by now you must be asking yourself, what do I do? How do I begin to approach this? EASY!
- Identify your Key Result Areas (see examples below)- ask others to help you build your list if necessary
- Clarity your Key Result Areas- really understand what they entail
- Self Evaluate- Give yourself a score from 1-10, 1 being low and 10 being high, on your performance in each Key Result Area
- Co-Evaluate- Ask others to help you evaluate your performance on your listed key areas.
- Make an Action Plan- Address the items with low scores first.. How can you improve those scores? Have you ever heard the saying, “You are only as strong as your weakest link?” This applies to your key result areas as well.
- Re-evaluate Frequently- You may need to add or remove items from your list as you progress or move up/ around within the company. You will also want to re-evaluate your performance. If you are really making strides on your low scores from a previous evaluation, your scores will be different and you may find other tasks that need focus.
Examples of Key Result Areas:
Tracy mentions the BIG 7 Key Areas as a manager:
He also mentioned the BIG 7 Key Areas of Sales:
- Building Rapport and Trust
- Identify Needs
- Present Persuasively
- Answer Objectives
- Close the Sale
- Get Resales and Referrals
Check, check, and Check! I do all of these and then some!
Here is an example of my Key Result Areas:
- Planning- Challenge Groups, Training (coaches and self), Goal Setting
- Organizing- Challenge Groups, Shared Data (Social Media Posts)
- Delegating- Getting others involved within my challenge groups and within my team
- Measuring- My business growth and progress, income, losses
- Reporting – Accountability to myself and my team
- Prospecting- Finding new customers through social media and face to face
- Building Rapport and Trust- Consistently posting and sharing my story (Product of the Product)
- Identifying Needs- Needs of customers and self- relates to above
- Presenting Persuasively- Sharing coach pricing and perks, sharing special pricing, Product of the Product
- Answering Objectives- being knowledgeable and having data to share
- Closing the Sale- stay on it!
- Getting resales and referrals- maintaining relationships and befriending friends of friends, asking for referrals, SHARE
- Stay knowledgeable- keep learning about products, health and fitness, personal development
- Coaching- be available, willing to listen and help, create personalized strategies for customers/ down-line coaches
- Product user- be consistent, use current products, share experiences with others
Need help identifying your key areas? Leave me a message below.
As always, feel free to leave me comments and give me feedback. If you have specific training request you can leave those too. 🙂
Have a great day! ♥